Monday, February 1, 2010

Charity Registration Requirements in Kansas

Sounds about as interesting as watching paint dry. I know. But it is important. If you are looking to donate to a charity, particularly one that you don't know a whole lot about, you may be curious about whether or not the charity is registered to solicit in your state. Both Missouri and Kansas have different requirements warranting different, but equally thrilling, blog posts. I'll start with Kansas because that is where I proudly reside, albeit four short miles from the Missouri border.

Kansas law requires charitable organizations to register with the Secretary of State's office prior to soliciting. The law also requires professional fundraisers and solicitors working for a charitable organization to register - something to keep in mind if you receive a telemarketing call from a for-profit fundraiser on behalf of a charitable organization.
Being a law, it is filled with exemptions. You can view those here. Of note are religious organizations, Boys and Girls Clubs, scouts, and any charity that receives funds from the United Way.
For more information about charity registration requirements in Kansas, visit the website of the Kansas Secretary of State.

No comments:

Post a Comment