Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Scams of the Week: July 5, 2011

Google+ Fake Invites -   You may have heard, Google released their social networking site that is a lot like Facebook with tweaks here and there. Lots of people are inviting their friends to join and phishers are swooping in with their own invites. They ask for your personal information, so be sure you trust who sent you the invite.

BannersBroker.com - They said it's NOT a scam, so we should definitely believe that. Some of their outlandish claims are that you can turn $20 into $10,000 and that you can double your money in four weeks. The website it privately registered and the phone number leads to a call center near Vegas. Sound dubious.

Email Hack Phishing -  In a variant of the grandmother scam, con artists are hacking your friends email accounts and claiming that they're in trouble.  They will ask you to wire them money.  Here's the text of the email:

"I'm writing this with tears in my eyes, I cam down here to the United Kingdom for a short vacation unfortunately i was mugged at the park of the hotel where i stayed,all cash,credit card and cell were stolen off me but luckily for me i still have passports with me.

I've been to the embassy and the Police here but they're not helping issues at all and my flight leaves in less than 3hrs from now but am having problems settling the hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let me leave until i settle the bills,I'm freaked out the moment."

iTunes $25 Gift Card - Another Facebook phishing scam that gets people to click on it and give their information to it.  Like most other offers on Facebook, just avoid it.

No comments:

Post a Comment