Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Charity Wednesdays - Charity-run Nursing Homes

This blurb about a staffer who embezzled funds from a nursing home run by the Little Sisters of the Poor got my attention today.  I grew up next door to a Little Sisters of the Poor home for the aged and have very fond memories of the sisters who ran it. They are kind souls who provide loving, quality care to those who can't afford fancy facilities. And I'm pretty sure they're pacifists who don't have the same feelings I have toward someone who would hurt them.  That's a good thing.

This post is also a good place to point out that it has been documented that care at nonprofit-run nursing homes is generally better than care at corporate facilities.  One aspect is that staff turnover is considerably less - nonprofits seem to treat their employees like people, instead of cattle.

When I get too frail and quirky for my sons to take care of me, they'll be instructed to send me to those nuns.

2 comments:

  1. It is very important that the care homes provide adequate services to our loved ones. I found this place and they put my worries to bed. I hope you like it. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete